The Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Mechatronics Systems is a four-year direct honours degree programme jointly offered by SIT and DigiPen Institute of Technology Singapore.
The programme encompasses two complementary fields of study, i.e. Mechatronics and Systems Engineering.
Mechatronics is a multidisciplinary branch of engineering that focuses on mechanical engineering, electronics, control and automation, and software technology, in order to design, develop, put into operation and optimise systems. Systems engineering is an interdisciplinary field of engineering and engineering management that focuses on how to design, integrate, and manage complex systems over their life cycles.
Students from this programme will acquire multidisciplinary engineering knowledge while grounded with systems-level engineering management know-how, placing them in a competitive advantage and flexibility to move across industries upon graduation.
The Programme Educational Objectives
The Programme Educational Objectives are closely aligned with the SITizen-DNA. Graduates of the programme, after working three to five years, are expected to:
- Solve complex engineering problems through mechatronics systems engineering using up-to-date technical skills and knowledge.
- Create innovative systems solutions for a dynamic technological and business environment through critical thinking and lifelong professional development.
- Communicate effectively and have the interpersonal and project management skills needed to function effectively as a leader or member in multidisciplinary teams.
- Discharge their professional responsibilities in benefiting the society with due consideration given to health, safety, societal and environmental issues.
Traditional approaches to mechatronics engineering education focus individually on the different sub-disciplines of mechanical, electrical, electronic or computer engineering. Systems engineering transcends these boundaries and looks at integrating and optimising systems from diverse multidisciplinary engineering to produce operational systems throughout their life cycles. Systems engineering enables the development, analysis and management of multidisciplinary mechatronic systems with a broad range of applications. Its methodologies address real-world complexities such as uncertainty, constraints, multiple objectives, and interactions among various parts or subsystems that constitute the whole. Trained systems engineers use sophisticated methods to develop and effectively manage engineered systems in today’s complex and interconnected world.
Full accreditation of the programme has been granted by the Engineering Accreditation Board.
Integrated Work Study Programme
Integrated Work Study Programme (IWSP) provides students with the opportunity to undertake real work. Held over the span of 12 months, it is designed to be more in-depth than a traditional internship. You will gain real work experience and apply the theories you learn in class with actual practice.
Overseas Immersion Programme
Students will spend one trimester at DigiPen Institute of Technology’s U.S. campus and attend lectures, labs, and industry seminars. Students will interact with American professors and mentors while experiencing life in a different culture.
- Systems Engineer
- Design Engineer
- Quality Control Engineer
- Project Engineer
- Software Engineer
- Software Analyst
- Embedded Systems Engineer
- ElectroMechanical Engineer
Programme Structure (AY2022/23)*
|Engineering Physics 1||6|
|Systems and Software Engineering||6|
|High-level Programming 1||6|
|System Engineering Project 1||6|
|Requirement Engineering and Systems Architecture||6|
|Engineering Physics 2||6|
|System Engineering Project 2||6|
|Embedded Microcontroller Systems||6|
|High-level Programming 2||6|
|Systems and Project Management||6|
|System Engineering Project 3||6|
|Engineering and Society||6|
|Modern C++ Design Patterns||6|
|Supervised Machine Learning||6|
|Model-Based Systems Engineering||6|
|Risk and Decision Analysis||6|
|Integrated Work Study Programme||30|
|Digital Competency Essentials||2|
|Critical Thinking and Communicating||4|
|Introduction to Design Innovation||2|
|Interdisciplinary Design Innovation||4|
|Social Innovation Project||3|
* The programme structure is subject to change without prior notice. SIT regularly reviews its curriculum to ensure that it remains industry-relevant and prepares our students for the evolving needs of industry.
Eligibility and Exemption
Diploma holders from any of the five local polytechnics and A level / IB Diploma graduates are welcome to apply.
Applicants with local polytechnic diploma may be granted exemptions from individual modules on a case-by-case basis, depending on the content of previous modules completed and grade earned.
A-Level / IB Diploma Prerequisites
Obtained a pass in one of the following H2 or HL subjects (Mathematics, Physics or Computing); or a pass in H1 or SL Mathematics
Fees and Finances
- Tuition fees shown are the total cost for completion of studies, based on the minimum credits required to graduate.
- Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents fees are exclusive of GST and subsidised by the Ministry of Education.
- International Students and Non-Subsidised fees are inclusive of 7% GST.
Industry Advisory Committee
The members of the Industry Advisory Committee for this programme are: