The Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Engineering Systems is a three-year direct honours degree programme that prepares you with focused fundamental knowledge and strong practical skills in sector-specific engineering systems, giving you a competitive advantage and head start in your future career.
Through extensive consultation with and strong requests from industry stakeholders, this first-of-its-kind applied, multidisciplinary degree programme currently offers specialisations for careers in land transport and in microelectronics manufacturing which are two industry sectors in Singapore with very strong consistent demand for engineering manpower.
Students will undergo rigorous academic training provided by highly qualified professors and industry experts, while immersing themselves in the land transport or microelectronics manufacturing industry through work-study stints with established organisations, such as Land Transport Authority, SMRT, SBS Transit, ST Engineering, Infineon, Micron, STMicroelectronics, Engineering Systems Services and Consultancy, Transport Systems Original Equipment Manufacturers and Suppliers.
The programme curriculum provides strong fundamental competencies in Engineering of Systems, e.g. Engineering Graphics for virtualisation and visualisation of complex engineering systems, Electrical Circuits for power and control of systems, and Engineering Materials that form every part of an engineering system. Industry-relevant and hands-on learning opportunities on the intelligent and sustainable operation, maintenance, repair, overhaul, inspection, testing, and management of equipment, systems, and facilities are integrated into the programme curriculum. This unique industry-oriented degree programme also allows students to earn a minor in Environmental Sustainability, professional certiﬁcations in Non-Destructive Testing and Lean Six Sigma.
Students, who perform well in the degree programme, may pursue the Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering. Graduates with the Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering qualification will be eligible for future registration as Chartered Engineer (Singapore, UK, and Washington Accord Signatory countries) and as a Professional Engineer (Singapore).
- Lifelong Transferrable Skills
- Engineering Mathematics and Science Fundamentals
- Information and Digital Technology Competencies
- Engineering of Systems Competencies
- Mechanical Engineering Competencies
- Land Transport Sector Specialisation
- Microelectronics Manufacturing Sector Specialisation
- Minor in Environmental Sustainability
- Non-Destructive Testing Certification
- Lean Six Sigma Certification
- Eight-month Integrated Work Study Programme
- Industry-Oriented Capstone Project
Programme Educational Objectives
Graduates of the Master of Science in Mechanical Engineering with Bachelor of Engineering in Engineering Systems programme, after working for three to five years, are expected to be:
- Competent in solving complex problems in Engineering Systems through the application of critical thinking and relevant up-to-date technical skills and knowledge.
- Able to embrace challenges and opportunities by adapting to changes in the technological and business environment through lifelong professional development.
- Able to communicate effectively, act with integrity, and have the interpersonal skills needed to lead and nurture teams, resulting in transformative outcomes.
- Able to serve the community with due consideration of health and safety, societal, and environmental aspects.
Integrated Work Study Programme
Integrated Work Study Programme provides students with the opportunity to undertake real work. Held over the span of eight months, it is designed to be more in-depth than a traditional internship. You will gain real work experience and apply the theories you learn in class with actual practice.
Graduates can look forward to careers in:
- Engineering Systems Integrators (e.g., ST Engineering)
- Engineering Systems Services and Consultancy
- Public Transport Operators (e.g., SMRT, SBS Transit)
- Public Sector (e.g., Land Transport Authority)
- Transport Systems Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEMs) and Suppliers
- Microelectronics and Semiconductor Manufacturing Companies (e.g., Infineon, Micron, STMicroelectronics)
- Diploma holders from any of the five local polytechnics
- GCE A-Level / IB Diploma / NUS High School Diploma holders
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering and Clean Energy from BCA Academy
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Green Building Technology) from BCA Academy
Module exemptions will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Fees and Finances
Industry Advisory Committee
The members of the Industry Advisory Committee for this programme (Land Transport) are: