The Bachelor of Science with Honours in Computing Science degree is a three-year direct honours degree programme jointly offered by SIT and the University of Glasgow.
Designed to support the government’s initiative to transform Singapore into a Smart Nation, this programme is the first computing science programme offered by an autonomous university in Singapore that specialises in Internet of Things (IoT). The programme encompasses a broad-based computer science curriculum which combines essential knowledge from IoT, software engineering, data analytics, cybersecurity and machine learning.
Students will learn about fundamental principles in computing science including boolean logic, discrete mathematics, programming, software engineering, databases, operating systems and computer networks. With the foundation in computing science topics, students will be exposed to specialised modules in IoT, including topics on sensors, IoT network protocols, cloud and distributed computing, data analytics, cybersecurity fundamentals and machine learning. Students will learn to work independently, as well as in groups to gather requirements, design software architectures for IoT applications, and implement and test software modules to meet software engineering project objectives.
Graduates from this programme will be equipped with a strong computing science foundation, be practice-oriented, industry-ready and team players. They will be able to apply their software and hardware training to develop innovative IoT solutions in different IT-related roles.
- Focusses on development of software programming skills and specialised knowledge for IoT
- The curriculum closely aligned with Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) and industry recommendations
- Eight-month Integrated Work Study Programme (IWSP)
- Three-week Overseas Immersion Programme (OIP) at University of Glasgow
Integrated Work Study Programme
As part of applied learning, SIT offers extended work placements. Students will undertake an eight-month Integrated Work Study Programme (IWSP) with a company. You will learn to integrate theories through practice, acquire industry knowledge and develop professional skills in a real-world environment. IWSP provides an opportunity for students to immerse themselves in the placement company’s business and culture. The practical experience will allow students to smoothly transit into a career upon graduation.
Overseas Immersion Programme
The Overseas Immersion Programme (OIP) is compulsory for all students pursuing Joint or OU Undergraduate Programmes. In the second year, students will undergo a three-week Overseas Immersion Programme at the University of Glasgow in Scotland. These programmes are designed to provide greater learning experiences and include lectures, hands-on project work, workshops and industry visits. Students will get to interact with their university professors and mentors while experiencing life abroad with their fellow overseas counterparts. Participation in OIP will be reflected in students' Record of Achievement (ROA).
- Software Engineer/Programmer/Developer/Consultant
- IT Project Manager/Officer/Engineer
- System Engineer/Administrator/Analyst
- Mobile Application Developer
- IoT Engineer/Iot Solution Architect
- Cyber Security Analyst/Engineer
Programme Structure (AY2022/23)*
|Introduction to Computing||6|
|Computer Organization and Architecture||6|
|Data Structures and Algorithms||6|
|Object Oriented Programming||6|
|Cyber Security Fundamentals||6|
|Professional Software Development and Team Project 1||6|
|Professional Software Development and Team Project 2||6|
|Human Computer Interaction||6|
|Mobile Application Development||6|
|Cloud & Distributed Computing||6|
|Embedded Systems and Sensor Programming||6|
|Internet of Things: Protocols and Networks||6|
|Special Topics in Emerging Technologies||3|
|Integrated Work Study Programme||20|
|Digital Competency Essentials||2|
|Critical Thinking and Communicating||4|
|Introduction to Design Innovation||2|
|Interdisciplinary Design Innovation||4|
|Social Innovation Project||3|
* The programme structure is subject to change without prior notice. SIT regularly reviews its curriculum to ensure that it remains industry-relevant and prepares our students for the evolving needs of industry.
Eligibility and Exemption
Diploma holders from any of the five local polytechnics, A level / IB Diploma graduates are welcome to apply.
Holders of BCA Academy Diploma in Construction IT are eligible to apply.
Module exemptions may be granted for the first year modules on a module-by-module basis subject to evaluation of applicant’s diploma and grade in related modules. Exemptions may also be considered for relevant professional or industrial certifications.
Fees and Finances
- Tuition fees shown are the total cost for completion of studies, based on the minimum credits required to graduate.
- Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents fees are exclusive of GST and subsidised by the Ministry of Education.
- International Students and Non-Subsidised fees are inclusive of 7% GST.
Industry Advisory Committee
The members of the Industry Advisory Committee for this programme are: