The Bachelor of Engineering with Honours in Civil Engineering is a three-year direct honours degree programme jointly offered by SIT and the University of Glasgow.
This programme will play an important role in addressing the lack of local graduate manpower with the necessary civil engineering professional qualifications for the building and construction industry in the face of sustained building and infrastructure development. With a strong emphasis on project-based learning and industrial immersion, this programme aims to produce industry-ready graduates who are equipped with a high level of technical expertise to address multidisciplinary challenges, provide technically sound, economically feasible and sustainable solutions for complex problems.
The Bachelor of Engineering with Honours and Master of Science programmes aim to produce work-ready graduates armed with the following:
- To be technically competent and industry-ready for a successful career in the civil engineering profession.
- To acquire analytical, problem-solving and lifelong learning skills to manage civil engineering projects in a rapidly changing world.
- To address multidisciplinary challenges and to provide technically sound, economically feasible and sustainable solutions.
- To lead in their profession, community and public service with effective communication, high ethical, and professional standards.
Upon successful completion of this programme, students may continue on to the Master of Science in Civil Engineering, which will qualify them to register for the professional examinations, conducted by the Professional Engineers Board of Singapore. The programme may be taken on a part-time basis, normally over 5 trimesters whilst in full time employment, or on a full time basis over 3 trimesters. In this way, students can study at a pace that best suits their individual needs.
The programme offers specialist training in the areas of Structural and Geotechnical Engineering, with a strong emphasis placed on the industrial relevance of the curriculum, which has been developed in consultation with government agencies and companies from the construction sector.
- Professional degrees to be accredited by EAB Singapore
- Flexible Bachelor of Engineering with Honours Degree Programme
- Transferable ECTS Credits
- Three-week Overseas Immersion Programme in Glasgow
- Eight-month Integrated Work Study Programme
Integrated Work Study Programme
Students will undergo an eight-month continuous structured learning and work programme in the construction industry that exposes them to both design office and field/site supervision experience. The learning experience is more structured than an internship, with objectives and corresponding assessments in career and professional skills, integration of knowledge and practice, and innovation skills. In addition, the Capstone Project is embedded within the IWSP, and students will start to formalise and propose their projects during the first semester of IWSP with input from their industrial supervisors.
Field/site supervision experience is mandatory for professional registration and this experience can contribute to the recognition of work experience required for registration as a resident engineer with IES/ACES.
Overseas Immersion Programme
Students will participate in an intensive three-week Overseas Immersion Programme (OIP) at the home campus of the University of Glasgow where they get to experience life as a student in Glasgow, United Kingdom. The programme itinerary includes academic lectures and workshops covering interdisciplinary design innovation to prepare students for their subsequent group design projects, as well as visits to key cultural sites.
Graduates can look forward to working in, but not limited to, the following occupational fields:
- Building and Construction
- Engineering Design Consultancy Firms
- Facility Operators
- Government Agencies
- Property Developers
Programme Structure (AY2022/23)*
|Engineering Mathematics 1||6|
|Statics and Structural Mechanics||6|
|Civil Engineering Skills||6|
|Engineering Mathematics 2||6|
|Structural Analysis 1||6|
|Graphical Communication and BIM||6|
|Civil Engineering Materials||6|
|Engineering Geology and Soil Mechanics||6|
|Hydraulics and Hydrology||6|
|Structural Analysis 2||6|
|Construction Management and Law||6|
|Design of Steel and Concrete Structures||6|
|Group Design Project||6|
|Integrated Work Study Programme||20|
|Digital Competency Essentials||2|
|Critical Thinking and Communicating||4|
|Introduction to Design Innovation||2|
|Interdisciplinary Design Innovation||4|
|Social Innovation Project||3|
* The programme structure is subject to change without prior notice. SIT regularly reviews its curriculum to ensure that it remains industry-relevant and prepares our students for the evolving needs of industry.
Eligibility and Exemption
Diploma holders from any local polytechnic and A-Level graduates are welcome to apply.
Holders of BCA Academy Diploma in Construction Engineering are eligible to apply.
Subject to approval, diploma applicants may be granted module exemptions, based on the modules taken during their diploma.
Fees and Finances
- Tuition fees shown are the total cost for completion of studies, based on the minimum credits required to graduate.
- Singapore Citizens and Permanent Residents fees are exclusive of GST and subsidised by the Ministry of Education.
- International Students and Non-Subsidised fees are inclusive of 7% GST.
Industry Advisory Committee
The members of the Industry Advisory Committee for this programme are: