The Lim Pu Leh Bursary was established to support financially disadvantaged but deserving students who are enrolled in undergraduate degree programmes offered at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT).
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Full-time students pursuing any undergraduate programme offered by the Institute.
- Preference will be given to Malaysian undergraduates where possible.
- Household Per Capita Income (PCI) less than or equal to $1,000 or students who have provided evidence of family financial difficulties.
Tenure and Benefits of the Bursary:
- Each Bursary, valued at $8,000, is applicable for one (1) academic year.
- The Bursary will be used to fund the recipient’s education expenses.
- Recipients of this Bursary may accept other Bursaries concurrently.
- No bond is required of the recipient.
About the Donor
The late Mdm Lim was widowed at an early age and forced to work to raise three young children. Being illiterate, she took on hard labour jobs such as washerwoman, domestic helper and caretaker of association premises. Money was never enough and she taught her children to be thrifty and frugal. Through her hard work and enterprise, she was able to bring up a strong family, inculcated with good values of giving and sharing. Her children were very dependent on financial aid provided by clan association, schools and university. She was an excellent role model: accepting challenges, working hard, being thrifty and yet generous and helpful to others.
This bursary is set up by her children as their contribution to give back to the community in memory of their beloved mother. To remember their Malaysian roots, the donors have requested that the annual awards be given to financially challenged students from Malaysia where possible.