Dr May Lim is an Associate Professor at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT) and Assistant Provost (Applied Learning). She looks after the SIT Teaching and Learning Academy that advances competency-based education, recognition of prior learning and coaching practices. From 2017 to 2022, May served as the Director of Centre for Learning Environment and Assessment Development (CoLEAD) that spearheaded various faculty development programmes at the university level. She was awarded the National Day Honours: Public Administration Medal (Bronze) in 2022, the SIT Teaching Excellence Award in 2016, 2019 and 2020 and and Education 2.0 Outstanding Leadership Award in 2022.
May has received several teaching and learning research grants from the Ministry of Education to investigate the effect of experiential learning, gamification and improving metacognition. She actively collaborates with experts in different fields to advance learning practices. In total, she has received around S$5 million grant in various research projects.
May is also an experienced occupational therapist by profession, she has been working with children with developmental delay and disorders in Singapore and Australia. She previously led the Bachelor of Science (with Honours) in Occupational Therapy degree at SIT. She was involved in national projects such as providing consultancy to early intervention centres.
She is a certified Solution-Focused Coach and who builds a coaching culture for educators to develop students beyond the classroom. May actively looks for coachable moments to develop her students holistically.
- Assistant Provost (Applied Learning)– Present
- Associate Professor– Present
- Director, Centre for Learning Environment and Assessment Development (CoLEAD)–
- Programme Director, SIT BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy–
- Deputy Director, Centre for Learning Environment and Assessment Development (CoLEAD)–
- Deputy Programme Director, TCD BSc Occupational Therapy–
- Assistant Professor–
- PhD Occupational TherapyThe University of Queensland , Australia
- Graduate Certificate of Higher EducationThe University of Queensland , Australia
- Occupational Therapy BSc (Hons) - First ClassSt Loye's School of Health Studies, University of Exeter , United Kingdom
- National Day Honours: Public Administration Medal (Bronze)
- Education 2.0 Outstanding Leadership Award
- SIT Teaching Excellence Award (AY19)
- SIT Teaching Excellence Award (AY17)
- SIT Teaching Excellence Award (AY14)
- Scholarship to the 2009 Australasian Human Development Association (AHDA) conference
- The University of Queensland Research Scholarship–
- Doctor of Philosophy Program Scholarship–
- SingHealth Health Manpower Development Plan Award - 3 months fellowship in the USA, Vanderbilt Children Hospital & Belmont University, SingHealth
- National Carnival of Quality Circle: Spring Singapore- Gold Award for Work Improvement Team project.
- Public Service Commission Overseas Specialist Award, Public Service Commission (PSC)–
- Certified Positive Intelligence CoachPositive Intelligence
- Certified Solution-Focused CoachCCPC Global
- Associate Certified Coach (ACC)International Coaching Federation
- Registered Occupational Therapist - Allied Health Profession Council - Singapore
- SGH-Postgraduate Allied Health Institute (SGH-PGAHI) Advisory BoardPresent
- SPD Board MemberPresent
- Oribel Advisory Board Member–
- Alzheimer’s Disease Association Academy Workgroup Member–
- Subject-matter-expert Consultant, Ernst & Young Advisory Pte.Ltd for SkillsFuture project –Healthcare sector–
- MindChamps Medical Advisory Board–
- Ministry of Social and Family Development (MSF) Therapist Development and Service Management Committee, Resource Person–
- Allied Health Professions Council’s Review Committee for Additional Qualifications
Family Centered practice
Approaches to learning
- Principal Investigator of project title: Evaluation of competency-based, stackable, micro-credentials from the lens of learners, academic staff, and industry partners– Present
- Co-Invesatigator of project title: LEARN: Language automated Evaluation by generating Answers / questions from caRtooNs– Present
Grantor: AI Singapore Grand Challenge In Education (Technology Development)
- Principal Investigator of project title: Evaluation of Learning on Positive Intelligence and building mental fitness– Present
- Co-investigator of project title: Supporting academically at-risk students by enhancing their metacognitive and project-based learning skills.– Present
Grantor: Ministry of Education (MOE) Tertiary Education Research Fund (TRF) Grant
- Co-investigator of project: Virtual Reality For Dementia Education And Training– Present
Grantor: The Majurity Trust
- Gamified micro-learning platform: An early intervention for at-risk freshmen– Present
Grantor: Ministry of Education (MOE) Tertiary Education Research Fund (TRF) Grant
- Occupational transition of older adults into nursing homes– Present
Grantor: Agency for Integrated Care (AIC) Intermediate And Long Term Care (ILTC) Research Grant
- Students Perception Of Growth In Work-Related And 21st Century Skills Through Integrated Work Study Programme– Present
- Co-investigator of project title: Understanding the lived experience of senior adults transiting from community into a nursing home in Singapore–
- Institution Wide Development Of Smart Classroom–
- Promoting Culture Of Professional Development As An Educator In Higher Education–
- Getting Ready! Understanding Occupational Transition of Preschool children to Primary school–
- Team-Based Learning As A Teaching Method In Occupational Therapy–
- Guest Speakers as Dynamic Practical Knowledge Bases: Enhance Applied Learning through Innovative Engagement of Industry Professionals–
SIT Advancement of Learning and Teaching Grant
- Principal investigator of project title: Experiential learning in occupational therapy education: Engaging persons with disabilities to develop competencies in students–
Ministry of Education (MOE) Tertiary Education Research Fund (TRF) Grant
- Pedagogical Innovation to Promote Critical Thinking in SIT’s Allied Health Degree Programs–
SIT Advancement of Learning and Teaching Grant
- Co-investigator of project title: Effectiveness of a variable air pressure vest in the regulation of attention levels in children with attention difficulties–
Tan Cheng Lim Research Fund
- Co-investigator of project title: VITAL Lifestyle Skills Program (VLSP): Development and pilot study of a health promoting lifestyle-based intervention for older Singaporeans.–
NHG Research Support Scheme.
- Co-investigator of project title: Project Title: Creating a collaborative healthcare workforce: Designing and evaluating a virtual hospital for collaborative practice across higher education institutions in Singapore–
Singapore Millennium Foundation (SMF) 5th grant call
- Principal investigator for project title: Research Grant for project titled "Development of a Comprehensive Occupation-based Assessment Protocol for Young Children's Social Competence in the Early Childhood Setting–
Grantor: KK Women's and Childen's Hospital Research
Lim, S.M. & Lim C.Y. (2022). Use of interactive oral assessment to increase workplace readiness of occupational therapy students. The Asia Pacific Scholar, 8(2), 86-88, https://doi.org/10.29060/TAPS.2023-8-2/SC2804
Lim, S.M., Shahahdadpuri, R. Pua, C.Y. (2023). 'Coaching as an educator: Critical elements in a faculty development program' The Asia Pacific Scholar, 8(2), 70-75, https://doi.org/10.29060/TAPS.2023-8-2/SC2802
Lim, W.M., Kong, Z.N., & Lim, S.M. (2022). Engagement of activities and experience of senior adults transitioning into nursing home. World Federation of Occupational Therapists Bulletin. https://doi.org/10.1080/14473828.2022.2112438
Devilly, O., Jasin, J., Lim, S. M., & Foo, Y. L. (2021). Experience of students in cooperative education – A case study of Singapore’s work-study degree programme. Journal of Adult and Continuing Education. https://doi.org/10.1177/14779714211030950
Liaw, S. Y., Choo, T.W. , Wu, L.T., Lim, W.S., Choo, H, Lim, S. M., Ringsted, C., Wong, L. F., Ooi, S.L., Lau, T.C. (2021). “Wow, Woo, Win” - Healthcare students’ and facilitators’ experience of interprofessional simulation in three-dimensional virtual world: A qualitative evaluation study. Nurse Educator Today, 105, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nedt.2021.105018.
Lim, S.M., Nyoman, L., Tan, Y. J., & Yin, Y.Y. (2021) Transition practice before entering primary school: A longitudinal study of children with and without special needs across a year. Hong Kong Journal of Occupational Therapy https://doi.org/10.1177/15691861211013427
Tan, C.T & Lim, S.M. (1 Feb, 2021). Immersification - a fresh dimension to learning design. Times Higher Edcuation, https://www.timeshighereducation.com/campus/immersification-fresh-dimension-learning-design
Lim S. M., Devilly, O., Jasin, J., Kok, X.-F. K., Tan C. T., & Foo Y. L. (2021). Effectiveness of AdventureLEARN an online gamified platform for improving approaches to learning. Asian Journal of the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 11(2).,76-92.
Lim, S. M., Devilly, O., Tan, C.T., Kok, X-F.K., Jasin, J., & Sagaran, B., & Foo, Y.L. (2021). Use of gamified platform to improve freshmen approaches to learning. AMPS Proceedings Journal Series, 23(1-1), 264-279 ISSN 2398-9467
Lim, S.M. (30 Nov, 2020). The future is now: Imagining university life in a post COVID-19 world. Aurecon, https://www.aurecongroup.com/thinking/thinking-papers/covid-19-reshaping-education-asia
Liu, V. Y.-Y., & Lim, S. M. (2020). A psychometric evaluation of the brief resilience scale among tertiary students in Singapore. Asia Pacific Journal of Education. doi:https://doi.org/10.1080/02188791.2020.1845120
Lim, S.M. & Lim, L.S. (21 Oct, 2020). Use technology to catch students before they fall. Times Higher Education. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/campus/use-technology-catch-students-they-fall
Lim, S. M., & Foo, Y. L. (2020). Promoting culture of professional development as educators in an Asian higher education institution. 2020 China-SOTL International Conference, 69-94.
Lim, S.M. (20 Aug, 2020). Taking account of disabilities. A practical guide to digital teaching and learning - Times Higher Education. https://www.timeshighereducation.com/campus/use-technology-catch-students-they-fall
Lim, S. M., Foo, Y. L., & Loh, H. T. (2020). Application of five models of academic developer practice to develop educators for applied learning. In C. Hong & W. W. K. Ma (Eds.), Applied Degree Education and the Future of Work: Education 4.0 (pp. 41-48). Singapore: Springer Nature
Lim, S. M. (2020, Mar 20). Educating despite the Covid-19 outbreak: Lessons from Singapore. Retrieved from https://www.timeshighereducation.com/blog/educating-despite-covid-19-outbreak-lessons-singapore
Lim, S. M., Foo, Y. L., Yeo, M.-F., Chan, C. Y. X., & Loh, H. T. (2020). Integrated work study program: Students’ growth mindset and perception of change in work-related skills. International Journal of Work-Integrated Learning, 21(2), 103-115.
Lim, S. M., Goh, Z. A. G., & Tan, B. L. (2020). Eight tips for inclusion of persons with disabilities as standardised patients. The Asian Pacific Scholar, 5(2), 41-44. doi:https://doi.org/10.29060/TAPS.2020-5-2/SC2134
Lim. L.S., Lim, S.M., Avnit, K., & Ong, C. M. (2019). Basic competence in online teaching: Preliminary lessons learned from a university's approach to assure faculty readiness in teaching online. In Y. W. Chew, K. M. Chan, & A. Alphonso (Eds.), Personalised Learning. Diverse Goals. One Heart. (pp. 493-498). Singapore: ASCILITE 2019
Liaw, S.Y., Tan, K.K., Wu, L.T., Tan, S.C., Choo, H., Yap,J., Lim, S.M., Wong, L., & Ignacio, J. (2019) Finding the Right Blend for Technologically-enhanced Learning Environments: A Randomized Study of the Effect of Instructional Sequences on Interprofessional Learning. Journal of Medical Internet Research, 21(5):e12537
Lim, S.M., G.A.C. Carpio, & Ong, C.M. (2019) Evaluation of engagement in learning within active learning classrooms: Does novelty make a difference? Journal of Learning Spaces, 8(2). Retrieved from http://libjournal.uncg.edu/jls/article/view/1791
Lim, S. M., Tan, B. L., Lim, H. B., & Goh, Z. A. G. (2018). Engaging persons with disabilities as community teachers for experiential learning in occupational therapy education. Hong Kong Journal of Occupational Therapy, 31(1), 36-45 https://doi.org/10.1177/1569186118783877.
Lim, S.M., & Lim, H.B. (2016). Singapore’s perspective on applied learning in occupational therapy: beyond clinical practice education. World Federation Of Occupational Therapists Bulletin, 72(1), 1-2. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/14473828.2016.1150019
Lim, S.M., & Stapleton, T. (2015): Exploration of occupational justice in developed Asian societies, Journal of Occupational Science, DOI: 10.1080/14427591.2015.1112231
Lim, S. M., Rodger, S., & Brown, T. (2013) Model of Social Competence in An Early Childhood Envrionment. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 29(2), 114-133.
Lim, S. M., Palethorpe, N., & Rodger, S. (2012). Understanding the common inter-rater reliability measures. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, 19(9), 488-496.
Lim, S. M., Rodger, S., & Brown, T. (2011). Validation of Child Behavior Rating Scale in Singapore (Part 2): Convergent and Discriminant Validity. Hong Kong Journal of Occupational Therapy, 21, 2-8.
Lim, S. M., & Rodger, S. (2011). Getting students to set questions. Focus On Health Professional Education:A Multi-disciplinary Journal, 12(3), 30-33.
Lim, S. M., & Rodger, S. (2010). The use of interactive formative assessments with first year occupational therapy students. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, 17(11), 576-586.
Lim, S.M. (2010). Invited commentary for “Will occupational science facilitate or divide the practice of occupational therapy?” International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, 17(1), 47.
Poulsen, A. A., Horswill, M. S., Wetton, M. A., Hill, A., & Lim, S. M. (2010). A brief office-based hazard perception intervention for drivers with ADHD symptoms. Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, 44(6), 528-534.
Lim, S. M., Rodger, S., & Brown, T. (2010). Investigation of young children’s social skills constructs using Rasch analysis. Journal of Occupational Therapy, Schools, & Early Intervention, 3(3), 207-225.
Lim, S. M., Rodger, S., & Brown, T. (2010). Validity of Child Behavior Rating Scale in Singapore (Part 1): Rasch Analysis. Hong Kong Journal of Occupational Therapy, 20(2), 52-62.
Lim, S. M., Rodger, S., & Brown, T. (2010). Learning related and interpersonal social skills constructs in two existing social skills assessments. Occupational Therapy in Mental Health, 26(2), 131-150.
Lim, S. M., & Rodger, S. (2010). Use of formative assessment to enhance learning. Focus On Health Professional Education: A Multi-disciplinary Journal, 12(2), 30-33.
Lim, S. M., Rodger, S., & Brown, T. (2010). Assessments of learning-related skills and interpersonal skills constructs within early childhood environments in Singapore. Infant and Child Development, 19(4), 366-384, doi:10.1002/icd673.
Thorley, M., & Lim, S.M. (2010). Considerations for occupational therapy assessment for Indigenous children in Australia. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 58, 3-10, doi: 10.1111/j.1440-1630.2010.00852.x.
Lim, S. M., Rodger, S., & Brown, T. (2009). Using Rasch Analysis for establishing the construct validity of rehabilitation assessment tools. International Journal of Therapy and Rehabilitation, 16(5), 251- 260.
Lim, S. M., & Rodger, S. (2008). An occupational perspective on the assessment of social competence in children. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 71(11), 469-481.
Lim, S. M., Kattapuram, A., & Lian, W. B. (2007). Evaluation of a pilot clinic-based social skills group. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 70(1), 35-39.
Lim, S.M., Foo, Y.L., & Loh, H.T. (2019). Application of Five Models of Academic Developer Practice to Develop Educators for Applied Learning. AETI Conference, Hong Kong, 17-19April, 2019.
Lim, S.M., Foo, Y.L., & Loh, H.T. (2019).Students’ Perception of growth in work-related and 21st Century Skills through Integrated Work Study Programme. AETI Conference, Hong Kong, 17-19April, 2019.
Chua, C.P., Soon, T.C., & Lim, S.M. (2019). Using the Dundee Ready Education Environment Measure to understand the allied health undergraduate student journey. Advance HE’s Surveys Conference, Bristol, 8 May, 2019.
Lim, S.M. (2018). Evaluation of Team based learning in first year Occupational Therapy module. World Federation of Occupational Therapist Congress, Cape Town, South Africa, 21-25May, 2018
Lim, S. M., Tan, B. L., Lim, H. B., & Goh, Z. A. G. (2018), Focusing on ability beyond disability: Experiential learning from persons with disability. World Federation of Occupational Therapist Congress, Cape Town, South Africa, 21-25May, 2018
Lim, S.M. (2018). Team-based learning as a teaching method in Occupational Therapy. World Federation of Occupational Therapist Congress, Cape Town, South Africa, 21-25May, 2018
Lim, S. M., Tan, B. L., Lim, H. B., & Goh, Z. A. G. (2017). Engaging persons with disabilities for experiential learning in occupational therapy education. Canadian Occupational Therapy Conference 2017, Charlottetown, PEI.
Lim, S.M. (2017). Introduction to Team based learning. 3rd Chinese Mainland Occupational Therapy Rehabilitation Education Congress (COTREC), Fuzhou
Lim, S.M. (2016). Transitioning from Preschool to Primary School for Children with Autism. Autism Exposed 2016, Singapore.
Lim, S.M. & Hocking, C. (2015). Promoting Occupational Justice, Inclusion, and Participation: Embedding Learning about Human Rights within Occupational Therapy Education. Education Symposium during the 6th Asia-Pacific Occupational Therapy Congress (APOTC), Rotorua, 2015.
Lim, S.M. (2015). Impact of one-year occupational therapy degree course in Singapore on professional practice. 6th Asia Pacific OT Conference, New Zealand Rotorua, 2015.
Lim, S.M. (2015). Development of OT education in Singapore. 2nd Chinese Mainland Occupational Therapy Rehabilitation Education Congress (COTREC), Shanghai
Lim, S.M.(2015). OT educational programme in Singapore Institute of Technology. 2nd Chinese Mainland Occupational Therapy Rehabilitation Education Congress (COTREC), Shanghai
Lim, S.M. (2014). Evaluation of one-year occupational therapy degree course in Singapore. 16th International Congress of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists, Yokohama, Japan
Lim, S.M. (2014). Social Skills Assessments by Occupational Therapists and Teachers: Are we Observing the Same Thing? 16th International Congress of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists, Yokohama, Japan.
Lim, S.M. (2013). Assessing Young Children’s Social Skills in Early Childhood Environments. National Occupational Therapist Conference 2012, Singapore.
Lim, S.M. (2012). IQ is Only Half the Picture: Developing Emotional Intelligence in the Early Years for 2 to 6 year olds. MCYS Child Development Network Parenting Seminar 2012.
Lim, S.M. (2012). Collaborative Partnerships with Professionals and Families through using ICF-CY. Early Childhood Intervention Australia, 10th Biennial National Conference, 1st Asia Pacific Early Childhood Intervention Conference, Perth, 2012
Lim, S. M., Rodger, S., & Brown, T. (2011). Assessments of Social Competence in Young Singaporean Children. 5th Asia Pacific Occupational Therapy Congress. 19-24 Nov, Chiang Mai, Thailand.
Lim, S.M. (2011). Early Childhood Partnerships: The Collaborative Developmental Healthcare Initiatives. Leadership Forum: Policies that Support Practice: Enhancing the Well-being for Young Children. 27 Aug, Singapore.
Lim, S. M. & Rodger, S. (2011). The Use of Interactive Formative Assessments to Enhance Learning. Occupational Therapy Australia 24th National Conference & Exhibition. 29 Jun-1 Jul, Gold Coast, Australia.
Lim, S.M. & Chien, C.W. (2010). An Introduction to the Application of Rasch Measurement Model in Occupational Therapy. 15th Congress of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists. 4-7 May, Santiago, Chile.
Lim, S. M., Rodger, S., & Brown, T. (2010). Development of the Model of Social Competence for Young Children. 15th Congress of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists. 4-7 May, Santiago, Chile.
Lim, S. M., Rodger, S., & Brown, T. (2009). Young Children’s Social Competence: From Theoretical Framework to Measurement. 16th Biennial Conference of the Australasian Human Development Association. 6-8 Jul, Adelaide, Australia.
Lim, S. M., Rodger, S., & Brown, T. (2009). Social Skills in Young Children: Construct Validation and Measurement. 10th OT Australia Qld State Conference. 21-22 Nov, Brisbane, Australia.
Lim, S.M., Kattapuram, A., & Lian, W.B. (2006). Effectiveness of Clinic-Based Social Skills Group. 14th Congress of the World Federation of Occupational Therapists. 23-28 Jul, Sydney, Australia.
Lim, S.M., Tan, P.C., & Lian, W.B. (2005). Factors that Influence School Readiness Recommendations. 39th Singapore-Malaysia Congress of Medicine. 2 Jul, Singapore.
Wang, P. C., Chua, C. P., Avnit, K., & Lim, S. M. (2023). Developing students’ self-regulation skills within and outside academic modules. In D. Glick, J. Bergin, & C. Chang (Eds.), Supporting Self-Regulated Learning and Student Success in Online Courses (pp. 304-321). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Tan, T. S., Chua, K. C., Foo, Y. L., Lim, S. M., Poh, A., & Yeo, M. F. (2022). Chapter 3.1: SkillsFuture and Applied Learning: The Need for Continual Upskilling and Reskilling. In I. A. Mokhtar & Y. Ibrahim (Eds.), Social Context, Policies and Changes in Singapore: Beyond the First 50 Years. (pp 153-165). Singapore: World Scientific.
Lim, S. M., Tan, B. L., Lim, H. B., & Goh, Z. A. G. (2020). Experiential learning and its Impact on students’ attitudes towards persons with disability. In S. M. Lim, Y. L. Foo, H. T. Loh, & X. Deng (Eds.), Applied Learning in Higher Education: Perspective, Pedagogy, and Practice (pp. 101-112). Santa Rose: Informing Science Press.
Lim, S. M., Foo, Y. L., Loh, H. T., & Deng, X. (Eds.). (2020). Applied Learning in Higher Education: Perspective, Pedagogy, and Practice. Santa Rose: Informing Science Press.
Lim, S. M., Foo, Y. L., Loh, H. T., & Deng, X. (2020). Applied learning in action: Definition, perspectives, and practice In S. M. Lim, Y. L. Foo, H. T. Loh, & X. Deng (Eds.), Applied Learning in Higher Education: Perspective, Pedagogy, and Practice (pp. 1-13). Santa Rose: Informing Science Press.
Lim, S.M. & Jones, F. (2017). Occupational transitions for children and young people. In S. Rodger & A. Kennedy Behr (Eds.), Occupation-Centred Practice with Children: A Practical Guide for Occupational Therapists (2nd ed., pp. 111-132). Wiley-Blackwell.
Rodger S., Ziviani J., & Lim, S. M. (2015). Occupations of Childhood and Adolescence. In C. H. Christiansen, C. M. Baum & J. Bass (Eds.), Occupational Therapy: Enabling Performance, Participation and Well-being, 4th Ed. Thorofare, NJ: Slack Incorporated.
Lim, S. M. (2012). Adaptive Skills. In E.H. Lee, K. Lyen, K. Poon, J. Tham-Toh & M. Pathnapuram (Eds.), Rainbow Dreams (3rd ed., pp. 199-214). Singapore: Rainbow Centre.
Lim, S. M., & Chen, C. (2010). It's not just me: Enhancing the development of social-emotional learning in children. Singapore: KK Women's and Children's Hospital.