Fook Cheong YEE
Championing lifelong learning
Nothing stops Assoc Prof Yee Fook Cheong, PhD, CEng in his advocacy for lifelong learning. His move to SIT after being in the manufacturing industry for more than three decades reflects his never-ending quest to always learn and improve.
It thus comes as no surprise that this champion of lifelong learning was awarded the prestigious SkillsFuture Fellowship.
Assoc Prof Yee Fook Cheong was one of 29 individuals to receive this accolade awarded by SkillsFuture Singapore to recognise masters of their domains and shapers of Singapore’s future.
Photo: Assoc Prof Yee receiving the award from President Halimah Yacob and Minister Ong Ye Kung at the awards ceremony on 31 July 2018
The drive to learn never ceases
A faculty member of SIT’s Engineering Cluster, Assoc Prof Yee has spent over 30 years in the industry before joining SIT in 2013 to inspire aspiring engineers. Upon graduation with an engineering degree, he started as a production engineer in an aerospace manufacturing company. He tapped on the experience of his team of skilled machinists, who became his mentors, and deepened his knowledge through courses in precision manufacturing, amongst others. To complement his hands-on skills with sound engineering principles, he pursued his Masters and PhD in Mechanical Engineering.
The skills he acquired allowed him to grow in his career, from managing a machining workshop to establishing the Precision Engineering and Application Centre and then leading the technology development unit in a defence company. Now after accumulating a wealth of industry knowledge, he passionately imparts his skills and knowledge to the next generation of engineers at SIT.
Assoc Prof Yee’s lifelong learning journey continues. He is now busy equipping himself with the necessary Industry 4.0 skills to accelerate the adoption of advanced manufacturing technologies both in academia and the industry. His efforts will serve to bring better solutions to partners in the manufacturing industry. In addition, it will upskill and reskill practising engineers, adding to their development and growth.
“I’m honoured to receive this award, yet humbled to know that I’m just standing on the shoulders of giants who have come before me,” Assoc Prof Yee remarked. “We learn something new every day. Being lifelong learners is part of what makes us human. Our innate curiosity will continue to lead us to explore the world around us and seek to understand it in ways that are new to us.”
Contribution to the community
Assoc Prof Yee strongly believes that an engineer’s role in society should extend beyond his professional sphere. Hence, he equipped himself with the necessary coaching and facilitation skills in order to reach out to the community. He was a member of the team that implemented Helping Others Succeed® in ST Kinetics, training the line managers and coaching his staff. He is an executive coach with the SAF, coaching commanders on the finer points of leadership and command. At SIT, Assoc Prof Yee coaches his students on career and life skills.
After attaining accreditation as a certified facilitator, Assoc Prof Yee began serving in the community. He organised and facilitated courses such as The Alpha Course, The Marriage Course and Parenting Teenagers Course. Together with his wife, Assoc Prof Yee developed a programme for parents of married children on Spiritual Parenting of Young Couples (SPYCes®) which will be run in three churches in 2018.
So how does he keep up this flaming passion for teaching, training and educating?
“I believe that teaching others would reinforce my own learning. I’m now in a phase when it is timely to share my experiences with the next generation of engineers. I’m reaping what my seniors have sown and it is only right that I now sow into the next generation,” mused Assoc Prof Yee.
Role model to SITizens
Assoc Prof Yee continues to savour his teaching days at SIT. “Some of my memorable moments would be to see my students successfully completing the oral defence of their Final Year Projects, sharing their moment of achievement at their commencement ceremony, and hearing the excitement in their voices when they call to tell me that they’ve secured their first job.”
His advice to SITizens is that lifelong learning is a given. “Technology charges ahead. So if an engineer uses the same tools to solve technical challenges today as he did a year ago, he would have already fallen behind in terms of technology adoption and exploitation. Hence, he would need to learn continually and more importantly, be able to unlearn and re-learn,” said Assoc Prof Yee.
SIT congratulates Assoc Prof Yee on being awarded the SkillsFuture Fellowship and being a role model to many!
Photo: Assoc Prof Yee with his 2018 FYP students from Newcastle University.
Photo: Assoc Prof Yee with his 2017 FYP students from Newcastle University.
- Associate Professor– Present
- Chairman, Joint Autonomous Universities GES Committee, Ministry of Education, Singapore–
- Vice President (External Relations), Singapore Institute of Technology–
- Doctor of Philosophy (Mechanical Engineering)Nanyang Technological University, Singapore , Singapore
- Master of Science (Mechanical Engineering)National University of Singapore, Singapore , Singapore
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mechanical)National University of Singapore, Singapore , Singapore
- SkillsFuture Fellow, SkillsFuture Singapore
- Public Administration Medal (Bronze) (Military), National Day Award, Singapore
- Commendation Medal (Military), National Day Award, Singapore
- National Serviceman of the Year, Singapore Armed Forces
- Research Scholarship, Ecole des Mines de Paris, France
- Postgraduate Scholarship, Institute of Manufacturing Technology, Singapore–
- Postgraduate Scholarship, Singapore Aerospace Manufacturing, Singapore–
- Sword of Honour, Officer Cadet School, Singapore Armed Forces
- Certified Smart Industry Readiness Index AssessorEconomic Development Board, Singapore
- Specialist Adult Educator (Curriculum Development)SkillsFuture Singapore
- Chartered EngineerInstitution of Engineers Singapore
- Specialist Adult Educator (Facilitation)SkillsFuture Singapore
- Certified Quality EngineerAmerican Society for Quality, USA–
- Certified Manufacturing EngineerSociety of Manufacturing Engineers, USA–
- Senior Member, Institution of Engineers Singapore– Present
- Executive Coach, Singapore Armed Forces, Singapore– Present
- Certified Facilitator & Coach, Helping Others Succeed®, Blessing White, USA–
- Member, Advisory Board, Advanced Composites & Engineering Laboratory, ST Kinetics & Republic Polytechnic, Singapore–
- Member, Advisory Board, Applied Materials Engineering Centre, ST Kinetics & Singapore Polytechnic, Singapore–
- Member, Supervisory Board, Ministry of Defence, Singapore–
- Director, Industry Development, Defence Science & Technology Agency, Singapore (on secondment)–
- Member, Management Committee, Intelligent Systems Centre, ST Engineering & NTU, Singapore–
- Member, R&D Committee, Temasek Defence Science Institute, NUS, Singapore–
- Director, Nano Science Innovation Pte Ltd–
- Director, Growth Venture Pte Ltd–
- Vice President and Head, Composites & Materials Technology, ST Kinetics, Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd.–
- Chairman, Industry Advisory Committee, University of Newcastle, Australia–
- Director, Precision Engineering & Application Centre, Productivity & Standards Board, Singapore–
- Group Manager, Institute of Manufacturing Technology, Singapore–
- Programme Manager, Singapore Aeropace Manufacturing, Singapore–
Industry 4.0 (Digitalization of Manufacturing)
Precision Engineering (Design & Manufacturing)
Materials Processing (Traditional & Non-Traditional Processes)
Composite Materials (Applications in Defence & Aerospace)
Yee, F.C. and Low, Kenneth. Integrating Work With Study: Meeting the Needs of a Restructuring Economy. Proceedings of the NACE 2016 Conference and Exposition; 7 to 10 June 2016; Chicago, USA.
Yee, F.C. Meeting industry's skilled manpower needs through integrating work and study. Proceedings of the WACE 19th World Conference on Cooperative and Work Integrated Education; 18 to 21 August 2015; Japan.
Yee, F.C. Composite Design, Application and Repair. Proceedings of the Innovative Composites Summit, JEC Asia; 25 to 27 June 2013; Singapore.
Yee, F.C.; Ang, Roland; Qu, Qing. Eco-Recovery Park – A Solution to Resource Recovery and Sustainable Development. Proceedings of the ISWA 2008 Annual Congress; 3 to 5 November 2008; Singapore.
Yee, F. C.; Niu, X. P.; Hao, S. W. and Hu, B. H. Rheology of Aluminium Alloy AlSi7Mg0.3Sr in its Semi-Solid State. Proceedings of the Third Pacific Rim International Conference on Advanced Materials and Processing; 12 to 16 July 1998; Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
Yee, F. C.; Hao, S. W.; Niu, X. P. and Hu, B. H. Die Filling Studies of Aluminium Alloy AlSi7Mg0.3Sr in its Semi-Solid State. Proceedings of the Eight International Conference on Modeling of Casting and Welding Processes; 7 to 12 June 1998; San Diego, California, USA.
Hao, S. W.; Tong, K. K. and Yee, F. C. Integrating Numerical Modelling into the Mold Design of a High Pressure Die Casting. Proceedings of the 101st Casting Congress; 20 to 23 April 1997; Seattle, Washington, USA. Transactions of the American Foundrymen's Society; 1997.
Niu, X. P.; Tong, K. K.; Hu, B. H.; Hao, S. W. and Yee, F. C. High Performance Al-Si-Mg Alloy Fabricated by Semisolid Casting Process. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Processing and Fabrication of Advanced Materials; 24 to 26 November 1997; Singapore.
Hu, B. H.; Hao, S. W.; Niu, X. P.; Tong, K. K. and Yee, F. C. Optimisation of Mould Design in Die Casting of Pewter Parts through Numerical Simulation. Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Computer Integrated Manufacturing (ICCIM'97); 20 to 24 October 1997; Singapore.
Hu, B. H.; Niu, X. P.; Hao, S. W.; Tong, K. K. and Yee, F. C. Squeeze Casting of Al-Si-Cu-Fe-Mn-Mg Alloy. Proceedings of the 6th International Conference on Processing and Fabrication of Advanced Materials; 24 to 26 November 1997; Singapore.
Hu, B. H.; Tong, K. K.; Yee, F. C.; Sudheeran, D. and Tan, K. T. Process Diagnosis and Optimization in Pressure Die Casting. Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Die and Mould Technology; 7 to 8 September 1995; Taipei, Taiwan. Taipei: Taiwan Mold and Die Association; 1995: 137-142
Yee, F. C. and Wang, Z. P. The Formation and Modelling of Shrinkage Porosity in Castings. Kishi, T.; Takeda, N. and Kagawa, Y.; eds. Advanced Materials - New Processes and Reliability: proceedings of the 3rd Japan International SAMPE Symposium; 7 to 10 December 1993; Chiba, Japan. Tokyo: SAMPE; 1993: 2397-2401.