Chew Beng SOH
- Deputy Cluster Director, Engineering– Present
- Programme Leader, SIT MEngTech Sustainable Infrastructure Engineering (Building Services)– Present
- Programme Leader, SIT BEng (Hons) Sustainable Built Environment/ Infrastructure Engineering (Building Services)– Present
- Associate Professor– Present
- Programme Director for Sustainable Infrastructure Engineer (Building and Services)–
- Deputy Programme Director, SIT-NU BEng (Hons) Electrical Power Engineering–
- Deputy Programme Director, NU BEng (Hons) Electrical Power Engineering–
- Assistant Professor–
- PhD (Electrical and Computer Engineering)National University of Singapore , Singapore
- BEng (Hons) Electrical EngineeringNational University of Singapore , Singapore
- Finalist for the 8th Asia Pacific Eldercare Innovation Award 2020, Nov 202, under the category, BEST SMART CARE TECHNOLOGY – PRODUCT Best technology–
- Open CV Al Competition 21, 3rd Prize, Eastern Asia + South Eastern Asia Regional Prize Winner of the Team: Train and Track–
- Merit Award winner, TAN Kah Kee Young Inventors’ Award 2012 entitled: "Quantum Dots incorporated Red and Blue III-Nitride LEDs on nano-hexagonal array template for greenhouse growers"
- ICMAT Best Poster Award (2009, 2011)–
- Snr Member Institute of Engineers Singapore (IES)– Present
- Singapore Certified Energy Manager–
- Member Institute of Engineers Singapore (IES)–
- Mainly in III-V LEDs and HEMTs devices
Growth of III-V Nitride structures
- MQWs, LEDs, InGaN nanostructures and other materials system
- AlGaN, InN for Solid State Lighting (SSL) application
Generation of photonic structures and surface patterning technique for enhanced light extraction using
- Nanosphere lithography, Anodized Alumina Oxidation (AAO), Electro-chemical Etching and E-Beam Lithography for single photon generations, LEDs and other devices.
Fabrication of porous semiconductor materials for Solid State Lighting, sensing and photovoltaic application
Application of artificial light source
- LEDs for horticulture and photodynamic therapy
- Co-PI: Embedded Fastener Inspection and Monitoring– Present
Urban Mobility Grand Challenge Funding Initiative, LTA (UMGC-L015 )
- Lead PI: Urban-metabolic Farming-module (UmFm): a novel farming module towards eco-resilient megacity farmscape in 2030– Present
Singapore food Story (SFS) R&D Programme 1st Grant Call (Theme 1 “Sustainable Urban Food Prodcution” (SFS_RND_SUFP_001_09)
- Co-PI Study on the Use of Probiotics to Increase Yield and Nutritional Value in an Integrated Rooftop Hydroponic Farming and Solar Photovoltaics (PV) System– Present
Temasek Foundation – SMF Research Grant Programme – 10th Grant Call
- Lead co-PI Micro-grid Digital Twin Development for Effective Energy Management and Deployment– Present
EMA Exploiting Distributed Generation Programme (EDGE)
- Co-PI Development of Next Generation Lithium-Ion ESS solution & Smart Distributed ESS management application for fire hazard mitigation under Hot-Humid climatic condition– Present
Energy Programme EMA-KETEP Joint Grant Call 2019 (EMA-EP004-EKJGC-0008)
- Co PI: Study on the Acceptable Reflectance Level of Body Wrap, Paintwork and Windscreen on Road Vehicles–External Funded Project by LTA - Land Transport Innovation Fund (LTIF)
- Lead PI Bio-inspired hip protector based on exo-skeleton of mantis shrimp–
External funded project by MOE, (ID: MOE2017-TIF-1-G-011)
- PI : Generation of submicron SiO2 structure with stripe pattern on glass substrate–
External funded project by DSO (DSOCL14072)
- Co-PI/ collaborator for A*STAR SERC-NSF program “III-Nitride Nano-materials Growth and Control for Solid-State Cavity Quantum Electrodynamics”–
Jan 2013 –Dec 2015
- Co-PI/ collaborator for A*STAR JCO program, “Effects of different light qualities on skin and their use in photodynamic therapy in cosmetics and skin disorders”–
July 2012- July 2015
- Co-PI/ collaborator for A*Car program titled “Gallium Nitride Power Devices for Automotive Applications (Phase 2)”–
June 2012 – Dec 2014
Feng Wei, Xuebing Chen. Shuyu Cao, Chew beng Soh et al ,”Coordinate Control of Grid-Side Energy Storage Power Station with Consideration of Communication Delays in Grid-Connected Micro-Grids” IEEE X’plore (2021) DOI: 10.1109/ICEPE50861.2021.9404414
C. B. Soh et al Absorptive protective padding with electrospinned polyester fibers with hydrogel matrix.: Mater. Sci. Eng. 744 012017 (2020)
Samuel W.Y. Lim et al Comparison of Tensile and Impact Absorption properties of Bio-Inspired Helicoidal stacked with Cross-Ply Stacked Carbon Fiber Laminate”, Mater. Sci. Eng. 744 012018 (2020)
Xuebing Chen. Feng Wei, Shuyu Cao, Chew Beng Soh et al PMU Placement for Measurement Redundancy Distribution Considering Zero Injection Bus and Contingencies”, IEEE Systems Journal, 1937-9234 (2020)
Htet Kywa Ye, S. R. Shannigrahi, C.B.Soh et al, “Development of (Zr, Mn) doped X-type hexaferrites for high frequency EMI shielding applications”, J. Magn. Magn. Mater, v465, pp716-726 (2018).
C. B. Soh, C. M. Simon Yu, Samuel Lim, G. S. Kwang, “Plasmonic enhanced emission from nanostructured embedded InGaN/GaN MQWs with silver nanoparticles”, IEEE Xplore (2018) 10.1109/ISEMC.2018.8393915
Kwadwo Konadu Ansah-Antwi, Chew Beng Soh, Hongfei Liu et al.“Growth Optimization and characterization of Gan epilayers on multi-faceted (111) surfaces etched on SI(100) substrates”, Journal of Vacuum Science and Technology A, 33, p061517 (2015)
H. F. Liu, J. Huang, C. G. Li, C. B. Soh et al. "Effect of Morphological and structural properties on SIMS Depth profiles of InGaN/GaN MQWs grown on sapphire by MOCVD" J. of Molecular and Engineering Materials vol(3), 4, p1550002- 1550008 (2015)
Xinke Liu, M. A. Bhulyan, P. Somasuntharam, Chew Beng Soh et al. “High voltage AlGaN/GaN metal-oxide semiconductor high electron mobility transistors with regrown InGaN contact using a CMOS compatible gold free process”, Applied Physics Express 7, 12, p126501 (2014).
C.B. Soh, C. B. Tay, Rayson Tan J. N. et al, “Nanopore morphology in porous GaN template and its effect in LEDs emission”, J. of Phys D: Appl. Phys, 46, p365102 (2013)
I. P. Seetoh, C. B. Soh, E. A. Fitzgerald, and S. J. Chua, “Auger recombination as the dominant recombination process in indium nitride at low temperatures during steady-state photoluminescence”, Appl. Phys. Lett, 102, 101112 (2013)
K. K. Ansah Antwi, C.B. Soh, Q. Wee et al. "Crystallographically tilted and partially strained relaxed GaN grown on inclined (111) facets etched on Si(100) substrates” J. of Appl Phys, 114, p243512 (2013).
Siah Hong Tan, Chew Beng Soh, “Tapered and aperiodic silicon nanostructures with very low reflectance for solar hydrogen evolution”, Appl. Phys. Lett, 101, 133906 (2012).
C. B. Soh, W. Liu, H. Hartono, S.J. Chua, “Enhanced optical performance of amber emitting quantum dots incorporated InGaN/GaN light-emitting diodes with growth on UV-enhanced electrochemically etched nanoporous GaN”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 98, 191906 (2011)
K.H. Dai, C. B. Soh, S. J. Chua, “Influence of the alignment of ZnO nanorod arrays on light extraction enhancement of GaN-based light-emitting diodes”, J. Appl. Phys. 109, 083110 (2011)
C.B. Soh, “Singapore researchers create amber light for nitride LEDs”, Semiconductor Today: Weekly E-Brief, http://www.semiconductor-today.com/news_items/2010/NOV/ASTAR_091110.htm, 9 Nov 2010
W. Liu, Rayson J. N. Tan, C. B. Soh, S. J. Chua, “The effects of cap layers on electrical properties of Indium Nitride films”, Appl. Phys. Lett. 97 p042110, 2010.
C. B. Soh, W. Liu, A. M. Yong, S. J. Chua, S. Y. Chow, S. Tripathy, R. J. N. Tan, ”Phosphor-Free Apple-White LEDs with Embedded Indium-Rich Nanostructures Grown on Strain Relaxed Nano-epitaxy GaN” Nanoscale Res. Lett. 5 p1788-1794, 2010
C. B. Soh, W. Liu, S. J. Chua, N. S. S. Ang, A. M. Yong. C. Lai, J. H. Teng, “Stress relaxed nano-epitaxy GaN for growth of phosphor-free Indium rich nanostructures incorporated in apple white LEDs.” Phys. stat. Solidi A, 207, p1400, 2010
C. B. Soh, S. J. Chua, W. Liu’ “Dots deliver beautiful whites”, Compound Semiconductor Magazine, , p40-43 Nov/Dec 2010
C. B. Soh, C. B. Tay, S. J. Chua, H.Q. Le, N. S. S. Ang, J. H. Teng, ”Optimization of hydrothermal growth ZnO Nanorods for enhancement of light extraction from GaN blue LEDs” J. Cryst, Growth 312, p1848-1854 2010
S. K. Mohanta, S. Tripathy, X. H. Zhang, D. C. Kim, C. B. Soh, A. M. Yong, W. Liu, and H. K. Cho, "Exciton recombination in ZnO nanorods grown on GaN/sapphire template", Appl. Phys. Lett., 94, p041901, 2009.
C.B. Soh, W. Liu, J. H. Teng, S. Y. Chow, S. S. Ang, S. J. Chua "Cool white III-Nitride light emitting diodes based on phosphor-free indium-rich InGaN nanostructures" Appl. Phys. Lett, 92, p261909, 2008.
C. B. Soh, B Wang, S J Chua, J. N. Tan, K. X. Lin, "Fabrication of a nano-cone array on a p-GaN surface for enhanced light extraction efficiency from GaN based tunable wavelength LEDs", Nanotechnology, 19, 405303, 2008.
C. B. Soh, S. Y. Chow, S. Tripathy, S. J Chua, "Reduction of V-pit and threading dislocation density in InGaN/GaN heterostructures grown on cracked AlGaN templates" J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 20, p095210, 2008.
C. B. Soh, S. Y. Chow, L. Y. Tan, H. Hartono, W. Liu, and S. J. Chua, "Enhanced luminescence efficiency due to carrier localization in InGaN/GaN heterostructures grown on nanoporous GaN templates", Appl Phys Lett, 93, p173107, 2008.
S. K. Mohanta, D. C. Kim, H. K. Cho, C. B. Soh, S. J. Chua, and S.Tripathy,* "Influence of Buffer Layer on Structural and Optical Properties of ZnO Nanorods Grown on Glass Substrates by Metalorganic Chemical Vapor Deposition", Electrochem Solid State Letters, 11, H143-H146, 2008.
H. Hartono, C.B. Soh , S. J. Chua, E. A. Fitzgerald, "High quality GaN grown from nanoporous GaN Template" J. Electrochemical Soc. 154 (12) H1004-H1007, 2007.
C.B. Soh, H. Hartono, S. Y. Chow, S. J. Chua, E.A. Fitzgerald "Dislocation annihilation in regrown GaN on nanoporous GaN template with optimization of buffer layer growth" Appl. Phys. Lett, 90, p053112, 2007.
H. Hartono, C.B. Soh, S. Y. Chow, S. J. Chua, E.A. Fitzgerald "Reduction of threading dislocation density in Gan grown on strain relaxed nanoporous GaN template" Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, p171917, 2007.
C. B. Soh, S. J. Chua, S. Tripathy, S. Y. Chow, D.Z. Chi and W. Liu, "Influence of composition pulling effect on two-dimensional electron gas induced at AlyInxGa1-x-yN/GaN interface" J. Appl. Phys. 98, p103704, 2005
C. B. Soh, S. J. Chua, H. F. Lim, D. Z. Chi, W. Liu and S. Tripathy, "Identification of deep levels in GaN associated with dislocations" J. Phys.: Condens. Matter 16, p6305, 2004
C. B. Soh, S. J. Chua, S. Tripathy, H. F. Lim, D. Z. Chi, W. Liu, “ Assignment of deep levels causing yellow luminescence in GaN", J. Appl. Phys, 96, p1341 (2004)
C. B. Soh, W. Liu, S. J. Chua, S. Tripathy and D. Z. Chi,"Inverted hexagonal pits formation in AlInGaN epilayer" Journal of Cryst. Growth, 268, p478-483, 2004
Neelakantam V. Venkatarayalu; W. W. Lee;. D. Tan; C. B. Soh, "Effect of Resistivity of ITO Thin Film When Used in transparent checkerboard Surfaces for RCS Reduction", PIERS 2017
Sim Yu Ying, Soh Chew Beng, Lim Wei Yang, “Faraday Cage Shielding for Electronic Sensitive Device using High Permittivity Patterned Oxide Thin Film” ICMAT 2017. 9th International Conference on. Materials for Advanced Technologies. 18 – 23 June 2017. Suntec Singapore
C. B.Soh , Neelakantam Venkat, C. M. Simon Yu, Darren J. R. Chng, "Reduction of Electromagnetic Interference from mobile devices with high permittivity BaTiO3 and Fe3O4- TiO2 thin film" Published 2016 in 2016 IEEE Region 10 Conference (TENCON)
C. B. Soh, Axel C. S. Tan, Ronnie. J. W. Teo, Simon C. M. Yu, "Enhancement in Light Extraction Efficiency from LEDs grown on porous GaN deposited on patterned sapphire substrate", Proceedings of the World Engineer’s Summit (WES) on Climate Change 2015