Bhing Leet TAN
Associate Professor Tan Bhing Leet is the Cluster Director of the Health and Social Sciences Cluster, Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT). She oversees the Allied Health and Nursing faculty and teaches mental health in the Occupational Therapy programme at SIT. Prior to SIT, she served as the Head of Occupational Therapy Department at the Institute of Mental Health for 11 years. She completed her undergraduate occupational therapy and postgraduate mental health training in the United Kingdom. She also graduated from the University of Queensland with a PhD in Psychiatry. Bhing Leet was a recipient of the National Day Award Commendation Medal and National Healthcare Group Allied Health Educator Award. She also serves at the World Health Organisation (WHO) Development Group for Schizophrenia, as well as a board member of Brahm Centre and advisory committee member of MINDS.
- Cluster Director, Health and Social Sciences Cluster– Present
- Associate Professor– Present
- Director of Programmes, Health and Social Sciences Cluster–
- Programme Director, SIT BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy–
- Deputy Cluster Director (Applied Learning), Health & Social Sciences–
- Programme Director, TCD BSc Occupational Therapy–
- Programme Director, SIT-TCD BSc Diagnostic Radiography–
- Programme Director, TCD BSc Radiation Therapy–
- Programme Director, TCD BSc Physiotherapy–
- Assistant Professor–
- PhD in PsychiatryUniversity of Queensland , Australia
- MSc in Mental Health (Distinction)Kings College London (Institute of Psychiatry) , United Kingdom
- BSc (Hons) Occupational Therapy-First ClassUniversity of Exeter , United Kingdom
- World Health Organisation (WHO) Development Group Member for Schizophrenia
- Guest Associate Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences, Iryo Sosei University.
- National Healthcare Group Allied Health Educator Award-Senior Educator Category
- Appointed Board Member, Brahm Centre–
- National Day Awards- Commendation Medal
- Brahm Centre Scholarship
- Public Service Commission Scholarship (Overseas Specialist Award)
- Neuropsychological and Educational Approach to Remediation (NEAR) TrainerColumbia University Medical Center.
- Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy TrainerOxford Mindfulness Centre, United Kingdom–
- Certification in Stress ManagementCentre of Stress Management London, United Kingdom–
- Integrated Listening Systems Associate
- Assessment of Motor and Process Skills (AMPS) Assessor
- Frontiers in Occupational Therapy-Associate Editor– Present
- Ministry of Health (MOH) Allied Health Services Action and Planning Committee– Present
- Centre for Allied Health and Pharmacy Excellence (CAPE) Advisory Council– Present
- MOH Allied Health Curriculum Review Working Committee– Present
- Frontiers in Psychiatry-Review Editor– Present
- Editorial Board Member, Hong Kong Journal of Occupational Therapy– Present
- Singapore Medical Council Complaints Committee Member– Present
- Allied Health Professions Council (AHPC) Continual Professional Education Committee–
- Allied Health Professional Council (AHPC) Complaints Committee Member–
- Selection Panel, Ministry of Health (MOH) Mental Health Human Manpower Development Plan (HMDP) Fellowship for Allied Health–
- MOH Corporate Planning Team-Advanced Scope Practice Project Member–
- MOH Clinical Practice Guidelines Committee for Schizophrenia and Depression Workgroup Member–
- National Postgraduate Allied Health Training Priority Workgroup on Occupational Therapy Member–
- External Examiner for National Occupational Therapy Qualifying Examination–
- MOH Allied Health Credentials Panel 2006 Nanyang Polytechnic (NYP) Occupational Therapy Advisory Panel–
- MOH National Mental Health Blueprint (NMHB) committee member–
- Registered Occupational Therapist (Health and Care Professions Council, UK and Allied Health Professions Council, Singapore)
- Pan-Pacific Conference on Rehabilitation (Hong Kong) Organising Committee Member– Present
- Invited Speaker, Singapore Health and Biomedical Congress–
- Invited Speaker, Singapore Mental Health Conference, Singapore–
- Invited Plenary Speaker, National Occupational Therapy Conference, Singapore
- Singapore Health and Biomedical Congress, Judging Panel for Singapore Allied Heath Award and Best Poster Award–
- Invited Speaker, Cognitive Remediation in Psychiatry Annual Conference, New York City, USA
- Invited Speaker, Johor Mental Health Convention
- Nanyang Polytechnic Occupational Therapy Student Conference, Guest of Honour and Judge for Best Paper Award
- National Occupational Therapy Conference Organising Committee Member
Schizophrenia Rehabilitation and Recovery
Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Recovery
Vocational Rehabilitation for Physical and Psychiatric Disabilities
- SIT Ignition Grant for the study ‘Augmented Reality Games to Enhance Vocational Ability of Patients (REAP)’– Present
- SIT Applied Research Seed Funding for the study ‘Incorporating Brain- Computer- Interface Games to Cognitive Remediation for Persons With Schizophrenia- a Pilot Study’.–
- Rehab Research Institute of Singapore (RRIS) grant for the study ‘Evaluating the clinical utility of speech and motor characteristics in psychiatry’–
- A Star Medtech Innovation Grant: for the study ‘Affect Regulation Based on Brain-Computer Interface Towards Treatment for Depression’–
- NMRC Research Grant Research Seed Funding (Pilot Study) for the study ‘Hyperactivity in ADHD Children and Its Correlation with Vestibular, Proprioceptive and Tactile Processing Dysfunction’–
- NMRC Centre Grant Research Seed Funding (Core Study) for the study ‘‘Towards Socio- and Neurofeedback Treatments for Schizophrenia’–
- IMH Research Grant for the study ‘The Effects of Cognitive Remediation on Functional Outcomes Among People With Schizophrenia – a Randomized Controlled Study’–
Tan B-L, Shi J, Yang S, Loh H, Ng D, Choo C and Medalia A (2022) The use of virtual reality and augmented reality in psychosocial rehabilitation for adults with neurodevelopmental disorders: A systematic review. Front. Psychiatry 13:1055204. doi: 10.3389/fpsyt.2022.1055204
Xu, S., Yang, Z., Chakraborty, D... Tan, BL, Lee,J. et al. (2022) Identifying psychiatric manifestations in schizophrenia and depression from audio-visual behavioural indicators through a machine-learning approach. Schizophrenia 8, 92. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41537-022-00287-z
Tan, B-L, Guan, F.Y, Leung, I.M., Kee, S.Y., Devilly, O.Z., Medalia, A. (2022) A gamified augmented reality vocational training program for adults with intellectual and developmental disabilities: A pilot study on acceptability and effectiveness. Frontiers in Psychiatry. 13. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2022.966080
Lim, M., Li, Z., Xie, H., Tan, B. L., & Lee, J. (2021). The Effect of Therapeutic Alliance on Attitudes Toward Psychiatric Medications in Schizophrenia. Journal of clinical psychopharmacology, 10.1097/JCP.0000000000001449. https://doi.org/10.1097/JCP.0000000000001449.
Yang, Z., Lee, S.H., ..... Tan, B.L., Lee, J. (2021) Predicting Real-World Functioning in Schizophrenia: The Relative Contributions of Neurocogntion, Functional Capacity and Negative Symptoms. Frontiers in Psychiatry. 12. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyt.2021.639536
Tan, BL., Yeh, I., & Liang, P. (2021) Occupational Therapy Students’ Experiences of Team-Based Learning: A
Multi-year Study. Journal of Occupational Therapy Education, 5 (1). Retrieved from https://encompass.eku.edu/jote/vol5/iss1/8
W.Q. D., Soo, M.K., Kwan,...Tan, B.L. et al. (2021) Using the Work Behaviour Inventory and Work Environment Impact Scale to measure employment sustainability for people with severe mental illness in a vocational rehabilitation program. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal. 00: 1– 11. https://doi.org/10.1111/1440-1630.12718
Lim, M., Xie, H., Li, Z., Tan, B.L., Lee, J. (2020) Using the CHIME Personal Recovery Framework to Evaluate the Validity of the MHRM-10 in Individuals with Psychosis. The Psychiatr Quarterly. 31. doi: 10.1007/s11126-020-09737-2.
Lim, S.M.M., Goh, Z.A.G. & Tan, B.L. (2020) Eight tips for inclusion of persons with disabilities as standardised patients. The Asia Pacific Scholar. 5(2), 41-44.
Jaramillo, L.A.,..TanB.L. A Journey Through Stories of Occupational Therapy Around the World. In Barret, K., Coppola, S. & Jaramillo, L.A. (2020). International Occupational Therapy: Strategies for Working and Learning Abroad. AOTA Press
Tan, B.L., Lim, W.-Z. M., Xie, H., Li, Z., & Lee, J. (2020). Defining Occupational Competence and Occupational Identity Within the Context of Recovery in Schizophrenia. American Journal of Occupational Therapy. 74(4), 7404205120. https://doi.org/10.5014/ajot.2020.034843.
Tan, B.L. (2020) ‘Dear Youths, It’s OK not to be OK’. Temasek Cares-My Mental Health Web Portal. Published May 2020: https://stayprepared.sg/mymentalhealth/articles/dear-youths-its-ok-not-to-be-ok/
Yasir, T., Yang, Z., Chakraborty, D……. Tan, BL, Lee, J., Dauwels, J. (2019) Non-verbal speech cues as objective measures for negative symptoms in patients with schizophrenia. PLoS ONE 14(4):e0214314. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0214314
Lim, M., Li, Z., Xie, H., Tan, B. L., & Lee, J. (2019). An Asian study on clinical and psychological factors associated with personal recovery in people with psychosis. BMC Psychiatry. 19:256, 1–13.
Lim, S.M., Tan, B.L., Lim, H.B., Goh, Z.A.G. (2018) Engaging persons with disabilities as community teachers for experiential learning in occupational therapy education. Hong Kong Journal of Occupational Therapy 31(1): 36-45. DOI: 10.1177/1569186118783877
Tan, B.L.,, Ng, W., Sudhasan, J., Chng, T., Mok, I., & Lee, J. (2018). Factors Associated with Changes in Community Ability and Recovery After Psychiatric Rehabilitation: A Retrospective Study. Community Mental Health Journal, 1–7. http://doi.org/10.1007/s10597-018-0249-5
Tan, B. L., Ho, S. F., Ibrahim, K., Sim, S. S., Ann, E., & Ho, J. (2018). Occupational Therapists. In B. Y. Ng & D. Fung (Eds.), Mental Health of a Nation (1st ed., p. 408). Singapore: World Scientific. http://doi.org/doi:10.1142/10362
Yang, Z., Abdul Rashida, N.A., Quek, Y.F., Lam, M., See, Y.M., Maniam, Y., Dauwels, J.Tan, B.L., Lee, J. (2018) Montreal Cognitive Assessment as a screening instrument for cognitive impairments in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.schres.2018.03.008
Tan, B.L., Lee, S-A and Lee, J. (2016) Social Cognitive Interventions for Persons with Schizophrenia: a Systematic Review. Asian Journal of Psychiatry. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ajp.2016.06.013
Tan, B.L., Ravindra, V.A. and Deveraj, P. (2015) ‘Development of a New Occupational Therapy Service in a Singapore Prison’. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 78(8): 525-529.
Tan, B.L., Li, Z. and Tan, C.H. (2015) Evaluation Of A National Supported Employment Programme For People With Psychiatric Conditions. British Journal of Occupational Therapy, 79(5): 270–274. DOI:10.1177/0308022615615891
Tan, B.L. et.al. (2014) Occupational Therapy in Psychiatry. In Sim, K. et al (eds) ‘Essential Guide to Psychiatry’. Singapore, Pearson Publishing.
Lee, C.S., Chee, K.C., Guan, C.T., Eu, P.W. Tan, B.L., Leong J. (2014) ‘Integrating EEG Modality in Serious Games for Rehabilitation of Mental Patients’. In Simulations, Serious Games and Their Applications. Springer Singapore, 51-68.
Tan, B.L. and King, R. (2013) The Effects of Cognitive Remediation on Functional Outcomes Among People With Schizophrenia- a Randomised Controlled Study. Australia and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry. 47(11), 1068 – 1080.
Tan B.L.(2009) Hybrid Transitional-Supported Employment Using Social Enterprise: a Retrospective Study. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal. 53(1), 52-55.
Tan B.L. (2008) Profile of Cognitive Problems in Schizophrenia and Implications for Vocational Functioning. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal. 56: 220-228.
Tan BL (2004) Irrational Beliefs and Job Stress Among Occupational Therapists in Singapore. British Journal of Occupational Therapy. 67(7); 303-309.
XIV World Congress of World Association for Psychosocial Rehabilitation (WAPR) 2021: Evidence and Experiences-Using Games and Technology in Psychosocial Rehabilitation for Persons with Serious Mental Health Conditions.
7th Asia Pacific Occupational Therapy Congress 2021: “Occupational Therapy Students’ Experience of Team Based Learning: a Multi-year Study”
Invited Speaker: Singapore Mental Health Conference 2021. Topic: Evidence and Experiences: Improving Functioning of People With Mental Health Conditions Through Games and Technology.
Occupational Therapy Australia Conference 2021: Defining Occupational Competence and Occupational Identity Within the Context of Recovery in Schizophrenia.
Asia-Pacific Medical Education Conference . Free Communications: Occupational Therapy Students’ Experiences of Team-Based Learning: A Multi-year Study.
Applied Learning Conference: Occupational Therapy Students’ Experience of Team Based Learning: a Multi-year Study.
Singapore Mindfulness Conference: Workshops Host
Singapore Health and Biomedical Congress. Track Lead and Speaker: Using Virtual Reality to Improve Community Functioning of Persons With Cognitive Impairment.
Pan-Pacific Conference on Rehabilitation (Hong Kong)-Clinical Forum Panel Chair: A Multidisciplinary Perspective on Neuropsychiatric Rehabilitation
Asia-Pacific Occupational Therapy Symposium, Taoyuan, Taipei: ‘Investigating Critical Thinking and Resilience Among Occupational Therapy Students’ and ‘Evaluating Outcomes of a Recovery-Oriented Occupational Therapy Programme’
Singapore Health and Biomedical Congress. ‘Addressing Cognitive Impairments in Schizophrenia’
Asia Pacific Occupational Therapy Congress, Rotorua, New Zealand. ‘Evaluation of a National Supported Employment Programme For People With Mental Health Problems’
World Psychiatric Association International Congress and 4th Asian Congress of Schizophrenia Research, Taipei. ‘Cognitive Remediation to Improve Functional Outcomes in Schizophrenia’
National Occupational Therapy Conference, Singapore. The Effects of Cognitive Remediation on Occupational Performance and Community Ability Among People With Schizophrenia - A Randomized Controlled Trial
13th International Congress on Schizophrenia Research, Colorado Springs, USA. The Effects of Cognitive Remediation on Functional Outcomes Among People With Schizophrenia - A Randomized Controlled Study
British College of Occupational Therapists Annual Conference, United Kingdom. Irrational Beliefs and Job Stress Among Occupational Therapists in Singapore
National Healthcare Group Annual Scientific Congress. Irrational Beliefs and Job Stress Among Occupational Therapists in Singapore
Singapore-Malaysia Occupational Therapy Conference. Stress Management in Cardiac Rehabilitation- a Descriptive Study
National Occupational Therapy Conference, Singapore. Change in Functional Status of Stroke Patients Following Active Rehabilitation in an Acute Hospital
Bhing-Leet TAN, Soo Fung HO, Kamaldin IBRAHIM, So Sin SIM, Esther ANN and Jovin HO (2018) Occupational Therapists. In Beng Yeong NG and Daniel FUNG (eds) Mental Health of a Nation. Singapore, World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd.
Tan, B.L. et.al. (2014) Occupational Therapy in Psychiatry. In Sim, K. et al (eds) ‘Essential Guide to Psychiatry’. Singapore, Pearson Publishing.
Tan B.L. and Eu P.W. (2006) The Mentally Ill Are Not Employable. In Wong K.E. and Mahendran, R. (eds) Grown Men Don’t Cry and Other Myths of Mental Illness. Singapore, SNP International Publishing Pte Ltd.
Occupational Therapy, BSc (Hons)
- OTY2003 - Application of Clinical and Social Psychology in Occupational Therapy
- OTY2006 - Work and Productivity
- OTY2002 - Daily Living Skills
- OTY4005 - Honours Thesis
- OTY3005 - Honours Thesis Proposal
- OTY2004 - Neuroscience for Occupational Therapists
- OTY 1102 Occupational Therapy Process and Skills
- OTY 1904 Clinical Practice Education 1
- OTY4004 - Leadership and Management in Occupational Therapy
- OTY3917 - Linking Theory, Evidence and Practice
- OTU44010 Advanced Practice (TCD module)
- OTU44012 Healthcare Development and Delivery (TCD module)
- OTY4004 - Leadership and Management in Occupational Therapy (4076)