Dr Bernard Leung
PhD (Immunology), University of Glasgow, UK
Health & Social Sciences
+65 6592 6679
University of Glasgow, UK.
University of Glasgow, UK.
Singapore Institute of Technology
Associate Professor, from 2016
- NUS Office of Life Sciences Young Investigator Award (2004)
- Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Courage Star Award, Tan Tock Seng Hospital (2003)
Professional Membership and Industrial Activities
American Association of Immunologists
Current Research, Funded Research and Publications
Immnology, Autoimmunity, and Allergy.
ResearchID: O-2409-2013; URL: http://www.researcherid.com/rid/O-2409-2013
- Role of inflammatory mediators in the development of autoimmunity/allergy;
- Role of immunomodulators in experimental inflammatory conditions;
- The role of immune system in ageing.
- Tay, L., Y.Y. Ding, B.P. Leung, N.H. Ismail, A. Yeo, S. Yew, K.S. Tay, C.H. Tan, and M.S. Chong. 2015. Sex-specific differences in risk factors for sarcopenia amongst community-dwelling older adults. Age (Dordr). 37:121.
- Chong, M.S., L. Tay, N.H. Ismail, C.H. Tan, S. Yew, A. Yeo, R. Ye, B. Leung, and Y.Y. Ding. 2015. The case for stage-specific frailty interventions spanning community aging to cognitive impairment. J. Am. Med. Dir. Assoc. 16:1003.e13-e19.
- Lim, J.P., B.P. Leung, Y.Y. Ding, L. Tay, N.H. Ismail, A. Yeo, S. Yew, and M.S. Chong. 2015. Monocyte chemoattractant protein-1: a proinflammatory cytokine elevated in sarcopenic obesity. Clin. Interv. Aging 10:605.
- Tan, R.S., B. Ho, B.P. Leung, and J.L. Ding. 2014. TLR Cross-talk Confers Specificity to Innate Immunity. Int. Rev. Immunol. 33:443.
- Goh, F.Y., K.L. Cook, N. Upton, L. Tao, L.C. Lah, B.P. Leung, and W.S. Wong. 2013. Receptor-interacting protein 2 gene silencing attenuates allergic airway inflammation. J. Immunol. 191:2691.
- Ting Tan, R.S., B. Lin, Q. Liu, L. Tucker-Kellogg, B. Ho, B.P. Leung, and J.L. Ding. 2013. The synergy in cytokine production through MyD88-TRIF pathways is coordinated with ERK phosphorylation in macrophages. Immunol. Cell Biol. 91:377.
- Lai, W.Q., F.L. Chia, and B.P. Leung. 2012. Sphingosine kinase and sphingosine 1-phosphate receptors: novel therapeutic targets of rheumatoid arthritis? Future Med. Chem. 4:727.
- Goh, F.Y., N. Upton, S. Guan, C. Cheng, M.K. Shanmugam, G. Sethi, B.P. Leung, and W.S. Wong. 2012. Fisetin, a bioactive flavonol, attenuates allergic airway inflammation through negative regulation of NF-kappaB. Eur. J. Pharmacol. 679:109.
- Howe, H.S., K.O. Kong, B.Y. Thong, W.G. Law, F.L. Chia, T.Y. Lian, T.C. Lau, H.H. Chng, and B.P. Leung. 2012. Urine sVCAM-1 and sICAM-1 levels are elevated in lupus nephritis. Int. J. Rheum. Dis. 15:13.
- Cheng, C., W.E. Ho, F.Y. Goh, S.P. Guan, L.R. Kong, W.Q. Lai, B.P. Leung, and W.S. Wong. 2011. Anti-malarial drug artesunate attenuates experimental allergic asthma via inhibition of the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/Akt pathway. PLoS One 6:e20932.
- Crilly, A., S.E. Robertson, J.H. Reilly, J.A. Gracie, W.Q. Lai, B.P. Leung, P.F. Life, and I.B. McInnes. 2011. Phosphodiesterase 4 (PDE4) regulation of proinflammatory cytokine and chemokine release from rheumatoid synovial membrane. Ann. Rheum. Dis. 70:1130.
- Lai, W.Q., W.S. Wong, and B.P. Leung. 2011. Sphingosine kinase and sphingosine 1-phosphate in asthma. Biosci. Rep. 31:145.
- Romero-Sanchez, C., H.K. Tsou, M.S. Jan, R.H. Wong, I.C. Chang, J. Londono, R. Valle-Onate, H.S. Howe, D. Yu, B.P. Leung, and J.C. Wei. 2011. Serum monocyte chemotactic protein-1 concentrations distinguish patients with ankylosing spondylitis from patients with mechanical lower back pain. J. Spinal Disord. Tech. 24:202.
- Peng, J., Q. Yuan, B. Lin, P. Panneerselvam, X. Wang, X.L. Luan, S.K. Lim, B.P. Leung, B. Ho, and J.L. Ding. 2010. SARM inhibits both TRIF- and MyD88-mediated AP-1 activation. Eur. J. Immunol. 40:1738.
- Lai, W-Q., A.W. Irwan, H.H. Goh, A.J. Melendez, I.B. McInnes, and B.P. Leung. 2009. Distinct roles of sphingosine kinase 1 and 2 in murine collagen-induced arthritis. J. Immunol. 183:2097.
- Bao, Z., S. Guan, C. Cheng, S. Wu, S.H. Wong, D.M. Kemeny, B.P. Leung, and W.S. Wong. 2009. A novel antiinflammatory role for andrographolide in asthma via inhibition of the nuclear factor-kappaB pathway. Am. J. Respir. Crit. Care Med. 179:657.
- Kong, K.O., A.W. Tan, B.Y. Thong, T.Y. Lian, Y.K. Cheng, C.L. Teh, E.T. Koh, H.H. Chng, W.G. Law, T.C. Lau, K.P. Leong, B.P. Leung, and H.S. Howe. 2009. Enhanced expression of interferon-inducible protein-10 correlates with disease activity and clinical manifestations in systemic lupus erythematosus. Clin. Exp. Immunol. 156:134.