Siti Maznah @ Alice Check Bursary
The Siti Maznah @ Alice Check Bursary was established to support financially disadvantaged and deserving undergraduates pursuing a full-time degree programme at the Singapore Institute of Technology (SIT).
Applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Students pursuing any of the full-time Nursing, Occupational Therapy or Physiotherapy degree programme offered by the Institute, with preference given to Nursing students;
- Are Singapore Citizens or Singapore Permanent Residents;
- Have a household per capita Income (PCI) of not more than $1,750; and
- Preference will be given to applicants who have community service records or have made significant contributions to the community, especially in programmes involving the elderly and/or disabled.
Tenure and Benefits of the Bursary:
- Each bursary is valued at S$5,000 and is tenable for one (1) Academic Year.
- The Bursary shall be used for the recipient’s educational expenses such as tuition fees, course materials, expenses for study trips and fees for other educational activities organised by the Institute.
- Recipients of this Bursary may accept other bursaries concurrently.
- No bond is required of the recipient.
About the Donor:
The Bursary is made possible by a gift from Dr Siti Noorbaiyah Binti Abdul Malek, who wishes to honour her mother, Mdm Siti Maznah@Alice Check, who, for 35 years, dedicated her life to the nursing profession. Coming from a humble background, the second child of 9 siblings and the eldest daughter, she had to leave school at a young age to work as a nursing assistant during World War II, to help support her younger siblings. All through her career, she had been partial to the elderly and those who are mentally and physically challenged – especially those without any family caregivers to help in their hour of need.
This Bursary was set up in gratitude to her mother’s sacrifices, who has given her all to the people under her care, including her children, so that they can reach their potential, both in health and wealth. With this bursary, Dr Siti hopes to inspire students to reach their own potential, while at the same time remain grounded in the community to help those in need.