PhD (Computer Science)
Nanyang Technological University
MSc (Computer Science)
University of Manchester, England
MSc (Electrical Engineering)
National University of Singapore
BEng Hons (Electrical Engineering)
National University of Singapore
Singapore Institute of Technology
Deputy Programme Director, from 2015
- BEng (Hons) Information and Communications Technology (Information Security)
Associate Professor, from 2014
Public Service Commission Merit Scholarship
1981 – 1985
NTU Postgraduate Scholarship
1991 – 1992
International Conference on Internet Monitoring and Protection Best Paper Award
Professional Membership and Industrial Activities
PEng (Professional Engineer, Singapore)
1997 – to date
CEng (Chartered Engineer, United Kingdom)
1995 – to date
CISP (Chartered Information Systems Practitioner, United Kingdom)
1996 – to date
MSCS (Singapore Computer Society)
1993 – to date
MBCS (British Computer Society)
1994 – to date
MIEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers)
1993 – 2003
MIES (Institute of Engineers, Singapore)
2002 – to date
SrMIEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers)
2003 – to date
Current Research, Funded Research and Publications
Peter’s main research interests are in information and cyber security, high performance computing and computer game technology. To-date, he has attracted and managed more than 4 million dollars of research funding spanning these areas. He has also set up and headed research labs in Information and Cyber Security, Software Engineering and High Performance Computing.
As a Principal Research Scientist at Temasek Labs@NTU, Peter was solely responsible for developing and overseeing a Computer Security research programme that comprised research tracks in Software Security, Mobile Phone Security, Operating Systems Security and Software Code Protection. The Computer Security lab that he had set up and helmed, supported about 3 million dollars worth of research projects.
Internationally, he serves as an invited editorial board, technical committee and programme committee member of several peer reviewed journals and conferences. To-date, he has authored or co-authored 90 refereed research publications, 27 of which are published in international, refereed journals.
Selected Funded Research
- Principal Investigator, Research & Development in Mobile Phone Security, S$180,956.00, 2011 – 2013
- Programme Manager, Management and Development of Computer Security Programme, S$350,000.00, 2011 – 2013
- Principal Investigator, Black-Box Web Application Vulnerability Scanning, S$197,439.00, 2011 – 2013
- Principal Investigator, Malware Analysis and Classification System, S$180,366.00, 2011 – 2013
- Programme Manager, Software Code Protection Techniques, S$318,633.33, 2010 – 2014
- Programme Manager, Auditing Input Validation from Assembly Code for Security Defence, Verification and Testing, S$430,045.82, Jan 2010 – Dec 2013
- Programme Manager, Management and Development of Software Security Program, S$350,000.00, Aug 2009 – July 2011
- Principal Investigator, Research & Consultancy in Mobile Platform Security, S$194,000.00, Aug 2009 – July 2011
- Principal Investigator, Set-up of Computer Security Lab, S$198,200.00, May 2009– May 2010
- Principal Investigator, A Rule-Based System for Program Analysis, S$241,583.15, June 2007 – June 2011
- Principal Investigator, A Fault-Tolerant Variable Architecture Parallel Computing Platform, S$230,000, ACRF Tier 1, October 1994 - June 1999
- P.K.K. Loh and D. Subramanian, “Fuzzy Classification Metrics for Scanner Assessment and Vulnerability Reporting”, IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security, Vol. 5, No 4, pp 613-624, Dec 2010.
- D. Subramanian, H.T. Le and P.K.K. Loh, “Assuring Quality in Vulnerability Reports for Security Risk Analysis”, International Journal on Advances in Security, Vol. 2, No. 2 & 3, pp 226 – 241, Nov 2009.
- P.K.K. Loh, Yi Pan and W.J. Hsu, ''Performance Evaluation of Efficient and Reliable Routing Protocols for Fixed-Power Sensor Networks'', IEEE Transactions on Wireless Communications, Vol. 8, Issue 5, pp 2328-2335, May 2009.
- P.K.K.Loh, W.J.Hsu, Yi Pan*, ''The Exchanged Hypercube,'' IEEE Transactions on Parallel and Distributed Systems, Vol 16, No. 9, pp. 866-874, Sep 2005.
- P. Loh, G. Sabaliauskaite and A. Mathur, “Detecting Injection Attacks in LTI Systems”, IEEE International Conference on Robotics, Automation and Mechatronics, accepted Nov 2013.
- D. Subramanian and P.K.K. Loh, “Malware Analytics for Social Networking”, Serious Gaming and Social Connect 2012, June 2012.
- H. T. Le and P.K.K. Loh, “Identification of Performance Issues in Contemporary Black-Box Web Application Scanners in SQLI”, 1st International Conference on Computing, Information Systems and Communications (CISCO’12), Singapore, May 2012.
- X. Li, P.K.K. Loh and Freddy Tan, “Mechanisms of Polymorphic and Metamorphic Viruses”, Proc. Of European Intelligence and Security Informatics Conference (EISIC), pp 149 – 154, Sept 2011, Athens, Greece.
- H.T. Le, and P.K.K. Loh, “Using Natural Language Tool to Assist VPRG Automated Extraction from Textual Vulnerability Description”, The 25th International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications (AINA 2011), pp 586 – 592, March 2011, Singapore.
- H.T. Le, P.K.K. Loh and W.J. Hsu, “Using Graph Similarity Algorithm to Recognize Vulnerability Property Matching in VPRG Model”, The 2010 International Congress on Computer Applications and Computational Science (CACS 2010), 4-6 Dec 2010, Singapore.
- D. Subramanian, H.T. Le, P.K.K. Loh and A.B. Premkumar, “Quantitative Evaluation of Related Web-based Vulnerabilities”, 4th IEEE International Conference on Secure Software Integration and Reliability Improvement (SSIRI2010), pp 118-125, 9-11 June 2010, Singapore.
- D. Subramanian, H.T. Le, P.K.K. Loh and A.B. Premkumar, “An Empirical Vulnerability Remediation Model”, IEEE WCNIS 2010, pp 376-380, June 2010, China.
- H.T. Le, D. Subramanian, W.J. Hsu and P. K. K. Loh, “Scoring Web-based Vulnerability Impact using Property-Based Vulnerability Model”, 6th Intl Symposium on Web and Mobile Information Services (WAMIS 2010), pp 431-436, Apr 2010, Perth, Australia.
- H.T. Le, D. Subramanian, W.J. Hsu and P.K.K. Loh, “An Empirical Property-Based Model for Vulnerability Analysis and Evaluation”, IEEE Asia-Pacific Services Computing Conference (APSCC 2009), pp 40-45, Dec 2009, Singapore.
- C D. Subramanian, H.T. Le and P.K.K. Loh, “Fuzzy Heuristic Design For Diagnosis Of Web-Based Vulnerabilities”, 4th International Conference on Internet Monitoring and Protection (ICIMP ’09), pp 103-108, May 2009, Venice, Italy.
- H.T. Le and P.K.K. Loh, “Evaluating AVDL Descriptions for Web Application Vulnerability Analysis”. IEEE International Conference on Intelligence and Security Informatics (ISI 2008), pp 279-281, June 2008, Taipei, Taiwan.
- H.T. Le and P.K.K. Loh, “Realizing Web Application Vulnerability Analysis via AVDL”, Proc. 10th Intl Conf on Enterprise Information Systems (ICEIS 2008), pp 259-265, June 2008, Barcelona, Spain.
- H.T. Le and P.K.K. Loh, “Unified Approach to Vulnerability Analysis of Web Applications”, Proc. Intl e-Conf on Computer Science 2007 (IeCCS 2007) Part II, Dec 2007.